Here are some tried and tested ways to increase metabolism, have more energy and burn more calories. A slow metabolism can make life miserable. You eat like a bird but still gain weight.
An NLP approach might reframe metabolism as keeping energy levels high. By focusing on increasing energy, you will naturally do the things that increase metabolism.
Ways to increase – activity
- Increase muscle mass
Increasing muscle mass may be one of the most important ways to increase metabolism. Muscle cells burn about 70 times more calories than fat cells, with every pound (.45kg) of muscle burning 40 – 120 calories a day.
Exercise increases metabolism while doing it. Not all studies agree how much of an after effect it has on metabolism.
- Increase your testosterone
Testosterone is the hormone needed to build muscle mass. Everyone needs testosterone; it’s not just a guy thing.
- Get restless
A study found that overweight people move 2hrs less per day than slim people do. It found that fidgeting – getting up from the chair more often, moving a little faster can speed up your metabolism
Increasing with food
- Get high quality food
Your body cannot digest, build and give you lots of energy without high quality food.
- Get adequate protein, carbohydrates and fats
Many of us have become paranoid about eating carbs and fats. We need all three major body building blocks to function and maintain health and energy. Leaving out carbs, protein or healthy fats can have a devastating effect on metabolism
- Keep insulin levels stable
Insulin is a hormone that regulates the way we metabolize glucose, fat, and protein (and convert them to energy). Insulin enables fat cells to absorb excess glucose as fat storage.
- Eat more often
Having healthy snacks or even dividing lunch and having two smaller meals keeps metabolism bubbling along.
- Don’t deprive yourself of food or skip meals
Food deprivation drops metabolism and makes your body hang on to its reserves.
Other Ways to Boost
- Drink water to lose weight
Every chemical reaction in your body (including metabolism) needs water. We need it to deliver oxygen and nutrients to where our body needs them and to detoxify.
- Get good quality sleep
One of the most serious sleep deprivation effects is it can drop metabolism by 10%. Inadequate sleep increases our levels of hunger hormones (grehlin) and decreases the hormone that signals satiety (leptin).
- Master stress
Chronic Stress increases cortisol and adrenaline, which in turn increase blood fat, sugar and insulin.
- Take acetyl l carnitine Acetyl l carnitine is an amino acid needed to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria for generating energy.
- Get plenty of oxygen We need oxygen to generate most of our bodies energy needs (ATP). More oxygen from deep breathing, fresh air and moderate exercise improves metabolism.
- Normalize your body temperature It takes a lot of energy to heat our bodies to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37 degrees Celsius. Increasing your body temperature by 1 degree increases metabolism by 14%.
You on a diet – Michael Raizen and Mehmet Oz
Ultra Metabolism – Mark Hyman
The Anti -Aging Zone – Barry Sears, Ph.D.